What is ICF?
ICF is the International Coach Federation, an international certifying body for coaches based out of the USA.
History of ICF
It was started in the year 1995 as a non-profit organization by a professional coach Mr. Thomas Leonard.
The organization aimed to support fellow coaches and to grow the profession of coaching. In 1996 they appointed a president and established a board of directors. It grew very fast, and by May 1996, there were more than 60 ICF chapters across the globe.
The ICF now is a leading and globally renowned organization dedicated to advancing the coaching profession. It sets high standards, provides independent certification, and builds a worldwide network of credentialed coaches.
The ICF has three levels of individual accreditation/credentialing:
Why Leaders prefer ICF certified coaches?
Leaders of the top companies prefer ICF certified coaches because they are the hallmark of quality. ICF certified coaches have become a global benchmark for quality due to various reasons.
1. The ICF certified coaches are trained for coaching through an organization approved by ICF for a certain number of hours.
2. The ICF certified coaches get their certification after having a certain number of hours of coaching experience, which gives them real exposure to coaching. It makes the certification process very authentic.
3. Go through a very robust process of assessment to get certified.
There is an online knowledge assessment, and then there is a performance evaluation of their coaching session by an international evaluator body of coaches.
The ICF certification reflects a coach’s commitment and seriousness towards their profession.
What are other coach certification bodies besides ICF?
There are four Coaching Accreditation Bodies, including ICF that you need to know. The other three coaching accreditation bodies besides ICF are as follows:
1. The International Association of Coaching (IAC)
The IAC has got a highly credible professional development model for aspiring coaches.
Its coaches are also valued and can make a worthy contribution in the area of evolving human potential.
IAC has got two levels of accreditation:
2. European Mentoring and Coaching Council (EMCC)
It is a non-profit coaching organization working towards spreading the good practice of coaching and mentoring across Europe.
The EMCC has four levels of individual accreditation:
3. Center for Credentialing & Education (CCE)
The CCE is a not-for-profit organization that advances professional excellence in practitioners and organizations with assessments, business support services, and credentialing.