By Kshitij Sharma PCC
Each day when leaders walk into their workplace, they not only carry their physical being but also bring along their state of being. It’s their state of being which determines their success through the day. When they operate from a lower state of being, their day is full of resentment, conflicts, depression, and chaos. On the other hand, when they operate from a higher state of being, their day is full of accomplishments, solutions, celebrations, and fulfillment.
So, what is this state of being? Every human being has two aspects to their being; a higher self and a lower self. The Higher-self is full of optimism, energy, hope, assurance, confidence, etc. and the lower-self has all the negative attributes such as fear, jealousy, hatred, anger, animosity, etc. The state in which leaders operates depends on where the focus is.
For example, if leaders are anxious and are operating out of fear of being fired for underperformance or downsizing; they will operate from a lower state of being.
Impact of Leader’s state of being: Leader’s state of being, not only affects them, but it also impacts everybody around them.
- Anxious leaders create an unpleasant and stressful work environment whereas leaders with higher energy create happier and conducive work environment.
- More stress at work leads to health disorders for the entire team including the leader.
- Leaders’ state of being is directly proportional to the extent of conflicts the team will get into with the stakeholders. Lower the state of being; Higher the conflicts.
- Finally, it negatively impacts their overall success.
With such high impact on personal and professional life, a higher state of being can make a huge difference in leaders’ lives.
So, the question is, how one should operate from a higher state of being?
As a leader, here are seven ways to be in a higher state of being:
- Becoming aware of the current state: There is a saying, “start from where you are and not where you would like to be.” The first and the most significant step towards a higher state of being is to understand one’s present state of being.
In Upanishads, (ancient Indian texts) there is a Sanskrit phrase,”tatvamasi” which means, “I am that.” What we put in place of “that” manifests in our life. For example, at a deeper level, if one feels that “I am weak” that’s how things manifest in one’s life. Whereas if the inner dialogue is “I am powerful,” one experiences power and control in life. So the first and most significant thing is the awareness of “that” and replace it with an appropriate word.
- Identifying anchors which lead to a powerful state of being: Each one of us has our memory anchors which transport us to a higher state of being. These are things or words or memories that have an association with some strong positive emotion at the subconscious level. For example, it could be a poem, or a voice of a near and dear one, or a photograph or a particular smell such as perfume, etc. These are called anchors as they connect us with the much desired positive state, without us consciously knowing about it. Identify such anchors in your life, which have always taken you to a higher state of being and keep utilizing them to be in a higher state of being.
- Physiology: Our physiology and our emotions are deeply interlinked. If we are conscious of our body postures and the way we sit and stand, we can quickly change our state to a more powerful state. There is research to corroborate this by eminent social psychologist Amy Cuddy and many others.
- Recognize activities that trigger higher state: All of us have an innate talent, and we perform specific operations with ease and grace. We need to recognize that and fill our day with such actions. Reflect and acknowledge such activities which have always give you a high. For example in my case, after each coaching session, my energy is very high. Ensure that you do such activities relentlessly every single day.
- Physical wellbeing: If the body is not well, it will have a negative impact on the overall state of being. Physical exercise such as Yoga, Gym exercises, walking or any sport is an essential component of a successful leader’s daily schedule as it positively boosts their state of being.
- The progressive movement towards worthy goals: All of us have higher goals to achieve in a lifetime. Some of us are aware of it, and some are not. Even a small action taken every day towards such worthy goal elevates the energy level. For example, if you are very passionate to set up a new business and you take out at least 30 minutes every day to work towards it, it will keep you in a higher state of being.
- Gratitude: Lastly, but very importantly, having an appreciation for all that one has received till date, leads to a higher state of being. It’s a great practice to have a daily ritual of writing three things for which one is thankful.
A higher state of being is an outcome of two things. First, an awareness that it’s essential to have a higher state of being, and second, integrating the above seven aspects in your daily ritual and make it a consistent practice.